Sunday, June 17, 2007

A New Blog

It's Father's Day and a monumentous one for me; I've been a father for two weeks now. I'll be posting weekly...Saturdays or Sundays about new insights or funny stories about fatherhood. This week will just be background.
My wife, Casey, and I have been married for nearly six years now. We have wanted to have children for a while now, but were in graduate school, then had uncertain careers. Things settled down and we started trying to have kids. Casey told me she was pregnant while I was looking at beer at New Seasons Market. I was thinking, "Which beer do I want?" and she said, "I think I may be pregnant."
I didn't know what she meant by "think I may be" so I asked, "What makes you think you are?"
"Because the pregnancy test said I was."
And there it began. Now, I was excited when we decided to try to get pregnant...anticipation, the thought that we're finally going to do this, but pregnancy was even more exciting. Fast forward 40 weeks and and our daughter wasn't born yet...officially late. Three days later, about 2 AM, and we're leaving for the hospital. It was difficult to see my wife working so hard to give birth, but my daughter is beautiful. Everyone seems to love the pictures of my and her because I look so happy...so they say...and I am happy.
Now, two weeks later and I'm still happy. I don't like screaming in the middle of the night, though. It's not the diaper changing every two to three hours that gets to me. It's when she's screaming and wiggling that gets to me. Nighttime is supposed to be peaceful and she's usually not when her diaper is being changed. I'm learning to be patient.
We had a grand plan about how she would sleep at night: in a bassinet in our bedroom for a month or two and then we'd transition her to the crib in the nursery. So far, she will only sleep in our bed. We've gotten her into a co sleeper attached to the bed for an hour or so at a time, but her plan certainly doesn't jive with ours. Guess who's going to win?
Oh, one more thing. Her name is really unique so I'm not going to reveal it here...at least not for a while. We called her Sesame throughout the pregnancy so I'll stick with that for here.
Okay, that's all for this week.

2 comments:

the kicker is... said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're blogging about this! Can't wait to see more photos :)

Sarah said...

Welcome to the blogophere, dude! Jon an I also have a grand plan about where Sparticus will sleep, etc., bu I know he'll do wahtever he pleases... I just hope I can be okay with that.

Remember to post photos! Lots and lots of photos!